About BRC - History - Tamás Keleti

Tamás Keleti

Budapest, 13 May 1927 – Budapest, 4 October 1989
Chemist, Academician

Director of the Institute of Enzimology of the BRC of the HAS („MTA”):
1988 – 1989


Tamás Keleti graduated in chemistry from Eötvös Loránd University in 1948. Simultaneously with his studies there, also he studied medicine and biology. After his graduation from university, between 1948 and 1950, he worked in the Institute of Pathological Anatomy of Debrecen Medical University as a demonstrator and then as a Teaching Assistant. In the year 1950, he joined the staff of the newly founded Institute of Biochemistry (the legal predecessor of the Institute of Enzymology) of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences („MTA”). It was academician Imre Szörényi, the Director of the HAS at the time, who introduced him into the world of enzymes. He carried out research activities in this field first as a Research Assistant, then as a PhD student, from 1956 as a Scientific Research Fellow, from 1963 as a Senior Scientific Research Fellow, from 1972 as Deputy Director and, finally, from 1985 until his death, as the Director of the Institute. He became a Doctor of Biological Sciences in 1965 and was elected a corresponding member of the HAS in 1976 and a full member in the year 1988. From 1974, he was an honorary professor of Budapest University. His areas of research included the process of the operation of enzymes, the laws of enzyme kinetics and thermodynamics and the macromolecular interactions of metabolic regulation. He worked as a visiting professor at several foreign universities, including, among others, Siena University (1986) and Hanoi University (1961-62). From the year 1962, he was a member of the Presidium of the Hungarian Biochemistry Society and, from 1981, the Chairman of the Hungarian Unit of the International Biochemistry Federation.

His work and achievements were recognised with an Academy Prize in 1961. Tamás Keleti graduated in chemistry from Eötvös Loránd University in 1948. Simultaneously with his studies there, also he studied medicine and biology. After his graduation from university, between 1948 and 1950, he worked in the Institute of Pathological Anatomy of Debrecen Medical University as a demonstrator and then as a Teaching Assistant. In the year 1950, he joined the staff of the newly founded Institute of Biochemistry (the legal predecessor of the Institute of Enzymology) of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences („MTA”). It was academician Imre Szörényi, the Director of the HAS at the time, who introduced him into the world of enzymes. He carried out research activities in this field first as a Research Assistant, then as a PhD student, from 1956 as a Scientific Research Fellow, from 1963 as a Senior Scientific Research Fellow, from 1972 as Deputy Director and, finally, from 1985 until his death, as the Director of the Institute. He became a Doctor of Biological Sciences in 1965 and was elected a corresponding member of the HAS in 1976 and a full member in the year 1988. From 1974, he was an honorary professor of Budapest University. His areas of research included the process of the operation of enzymes, the laws of enzyme kinetics and thermodynamics and the macromolecular interactions of metabolic regulation. He worked as a visiting professor at several foreign universities, including, among others, Siena University (1986) and Hanoi University (1961-62). From the year 1962, he was a member of the Presidium of the Hungarian Biochemistry Society and, from 1981, the Chairman of the Hungarian Unit of the International Biochemistry Federation.

His work and achievements were recognised with an Academy Prize in 1961.